Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 College

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
AuthorMessage
JessBowles
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1031
Age : 32
Location : SWHell/SWFL
Reputation : 34
Cool Points : 4074
Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue May 17, 2011 1:49 am

Isn't there a saying about "it's like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget"

I ride lil kid bikes myself(BMX) but so so so many fixies here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/SingYouALullaby
oldgospelchoir
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Male Number of posts : 634
Age : 27
Reputation : 14
Cool Points : 3363
Registration date : 2010-12-10

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue May 17, 2011 2:04 am

well majority of us. once we get a car....we rarely ride a bike....and even if we do, its more for social reason than transportation reasons. which in a way says a lot about our culture compared to someone in a different countries who rides a bike cause its their main means of transportation.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JessBowles
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1031
Age : 32
Location : SWHell/SWFL
Reputation : 34
Cool Points : 4074
Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue May 17, 2011 2:40 am

When I worked closer to home I'd ride. Now I work an hour away...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/SingYouALullaby
Tim
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 4431
Age : 30
Location : Enschede
Reputation : 282
Cool Points : 7969
Registration date : 2009-07-24

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue May 17, 2011 4:42 am

JessBowles is right. Once you know how to ride a bike you never forget. NEVER FORGET.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Timsalabimbo
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 31
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3649
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Fri May 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Tim wrote:
JessBowles is right. Once you know how to ride a bike you never forget. NEVER FORGET.

This is true, it's only the thought that you've fogotten that gives you the problems.





Passed all my classes though YAY, except that I apparently forgot to drop a class that I thought I had dropped and got an F in it...

Now I'm going to have to explain that to my advisor which should be fun. Well I thought I had dropped it with that other class I signed up for because it's history and I never even stepped into class because I'd get there and get all panicky...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 6264
Age : 28
Location : Bank Uber, BC
Reputation : 180
Cool Points : 7980
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: College   Fri May 20, 2011 10:08 pm

University still hasn't received my transcripts...

I sent an email to my high school, asking them that if they, for whatever reason, didn't send the transcripts if they could express them. But the thing is, they send things out once a month, on the 22nd. So, if we're lucky (assuming they didn't send it out, and it's just lying around at the university somewhere), then they'll be sending it out on Tuesday. If we're unlucky, they'll have sent it out, today, and I'll have to wait for another month. I already hate university.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 31
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3649
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Fri May 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Can you pick up a copy? I know that down here they have to be something special with them or something, and I ended up spending the first year fighting with my school because the highschool wouldn't send them how they were supposed to be sent or the school just wouldn't accept it,

I'm still not sure how it all got resolved, other than the transcript hold suddenly went missing on my account.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldgospelchoir
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Male Number of posts : 634
Age : 27
Reputation : 14
Cool Points : 3363
Registration date : 2010-12-10

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:36 pm

for once in my life. i dont have to hide my grades from my parents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 6264
Age : 28
Location : Bank Uber, BC
Reputation : 180
Cool Points : 7980
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:26 pm

Kam wrote:
Can you pick up a copy? I know that down here they have to be something special with them or something, and I ended up spending the first year fighting with my school because the highschool wouldn't send them how they were supposed to be sent or the school just wouldn't accept it,

I'm still not sure how it all got resolved, other than the transcript hold suddenly went missing on my account.

Well, I'd have to go all the way to Tanzania to pick up my transcripts, so not really. Razz I did, however, send in an unofficial copy, today, and overnighted it so it would get there before the weekend, so they can make a tentative decision based on that. And then on June 10th, they'll send an official copy from my highschool, and they'll be able to confirm their decision.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hockeyrocks5757
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
avatar

Male Number of posts : 86
Age : 26
Location : Spokane, WA
Reputation : 2
Cool Points : 2594
Registration date : 2011-06-20

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:31 pm

I go to Gonzaga University and I am majoring in Civil Engineering. Going into my junior year, which is going to be a very difficult one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 6264
Age : 28
Location : Bank Uber, BC
Reputation : 180
Cool Points : 7980
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:47 pm

So, I think I've been accepted to university........ But fuck, I don't know if I want to go. :/ I'm thinking I would rather take another year off, get out on my own for a while, go work at a ski resort in the winter, come back later and get some kind of certificate or something like that, where I won't have to waste 4 years and thousands of dollars on a program that I have no idea if I'll be into it (and, for that matter, I probably wouldn't be) in ten years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3196
Age : 25
Location : Calgary
Reputation : 144
Cool Points : 6484
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 pm

fucking registering for classes is a total mess. it's saying I don't have the pre reqs (when I for sure do), or the class is closed, or I'm not on the priority list... what a shit show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hockeyrocks5757
Borne on the FM Waves
Borne on the FM Waves
avatar

Male Number of posts : 86
Age : 26
Location : Spokane, WA
Reputation : 2
Cool Points : 2594
Registration date : 2011-06-20

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:35 pm

raptorsaurus wrote:
fucking registering for classes is a total mess. it's saying I don't have the pre reqs (when I for sure do), or the class is closed, or I'm not on the priority list... what a shit show.

This seems to be a problem at many colleges. My school for example does it all online, and when about 1000 students all try to register at the same time, our crappy school server likes to shut down, then not allowing us to register for classes in a timely manner, and many people getting jipped out of classes they need. Thankfully this problem goes away as you get more credits as thats how they determine when you get to register
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 31
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3649
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:32 pm

So I've had a shitload of really shitty semesters at school, which explains why I'm still in college, the end result is I have to get advised by the stars department because my GPA is at 1.80ish, which makes sense but they made me take this Lassi thing that judges my study habits etc. and I bombed it, it's like I have a bad attitude toward school, bad information learning, bad anxiety, bad concentration.

The only thing I'm good at is getting Main ideas and test strategies. And still the scores for those weren't particularly high.

Now they're not going to believe me that my non-school life effected my school work and just think I'm an idiot who should change my ways.

and to top it off, a shit load of the questions were completely unfair. No I don't read over my notes before class because A) a good portion of my classes don't have notes (namely most of my studio classes) and b) the professor talks about something new and a day is not enough for me to forget about what they talked about last time.


My adviser is never going to believe me again. I want to take the thing again, but I can't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3196
Age : 25
Location : Calgary
Reputation : 144
Cool Points : 6484
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: College   Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:46 pm

I dunno, do you think you'll actually benefit from getting a post secondary education? I know a few friends who are in university, but really shouldn't be. I read an article about it http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-question-youre-not-asking-should-you-go-to-college/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 31
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3649
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:07 pm

I don't know, it's kind of iffy. I'm getting a degree in Art with emphasis on design, which may or may not have changed to just being called Graphic Design Major (I've skipped semesters and pretty much flunked whole ones). But to get that I've got to take drawing, painting, color theory, etc. A whole bunch of classes that are fun and I can't see myself learning on my own, to get to the actual graphic design classes.

It's the rest of the classes that get to me, the damned basics because the set up for the studio classes suit me while the basics give me test anxiety.

So I don't know, my degree gives me a lot of lee-away to change and add things. Like I could just get the degree I'm working on, or I could add 6 or so more classes and be able to teach art (which I've been considering), if I want to become a college professor I only need a Masters degree so that's only two extra years. At this point I have no idea if I'm its a professional degree or not, but at this point quiting would be this huge waste of time because I'm almost there.

And in the fall I'm learning Animation which I know from experience I can not teach myself. Unless it's a powerpoint slideshow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 6264
Age : 28
Location : Bank Uber, BC
Reputation : 180
Cool Points : 7980
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: College   Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:16 pm

raptorsaurus wrote:
I dunno, do you think you'll actually benefit from getting a post secondary education? I know a few friends who are in university, but really shouldn't be. I read an article about it http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-question-youre-not-asking-should-you-go-to-college/

That article is part of the reason I decided to go for a certificate or diploma program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldgospelchoir
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Male Number of posts : 634
Age : 27
Reputation : 14
Cool Points : 3363
Registration date : 2010-12-10

PostSubject: Re: College   Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:18 pm

I gotta start looking int Graduate schools and start studying for my GRE exam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3196
Age : 25
Location : Calgary
Reputation : 144
Cool Points : 6484
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:10 am

Kam wrote:
I don't know, it's kind of iffy. I'm getting a degree in Art with emphasis on design, which may or may not have changed to just being called Graphic Design Major (I've skipped semesters and pretty much flunked whole ones). But to get that I've got to take drawing, painting, color theory, etc. A whole bunch of classes that are fun and I can't see myself learning on my own, to get to the actual graphic design classes.

It's the rest of the classes that get to me, the damned basics because the set up for the studio classes suit me while the basics give me test anxiety.

So I don't know, my degree gives me a lot of lee-away to change and add things. Like I could just get the degree I'm working on, or I could add 6 or so more classes and be able to teach art (which I've been considering), if I want to become a college professor I only need a Masters degree so that's only two extra years. At this point I have no idea if I'm its a professional degree or not, but at this point quiting would be this huge waste of time because I'm almost there.

And in the fall I'm learning Animation which I know from experience I can not teach myself. Unless it's a powerpoint slideshow.

One thing I've learned is Uni is really really stressful. I'm getting a BSc in Geophysics, and from what I learned in 1st year, is that I basically get no social life during the semesters. There's always assignments due, midterms and final exams. Most science classes have finals, and it stresses me out. Though I'm trying to get a really good work ethic. It's worked so far, and since I'm putting the effort in, I might be able to get into the honors program.

Test anxiety... I'm not sure how to overcome that. I get nervous about a week or two before the exam, but a few hours before hand, I kinda get a "fuck it" type attitude, meaning that if I haven't learned it by now, then I shouldn't try to cram. Then during the exam, it's best not to overthink. Do what you know first, save the hard ones for last. Think simple.

Note taking I think is way more important in university than in high school... I found high school notes useless, but uni notes were so helpful. I'm not sure how it would work for art as much, but I know for math class, the few examples the prof does, copy down everything and more, so that it makes sense when you look back, and don't skip 'easy' steps, cause that will confuse you later on when reading notes.

tl;dr: stressful, don't overthink tests, take good notes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 31
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3649
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:53 am

raptorsaurus wrote:
Kam wrote:
I don't know, it's kind of iffy. I'm getting a degree in Art with emphasis on design, which may or may not have changed to just being called Graphic Design Major (I've skipped semesters and pretty much flunked whole ones). But to get that I've got to take drawing, painting, color theory, etc. A whole bunch of classes that are fun and I can't see myself learning on my own, to get to the actual graphic design classes.

It's the rest of the classes that get to me, the damned basics because the set up for the studio classes suit me while the basics give me test anxiety.

So I don't know, my degree gives me a lot of lee-away to change and add things. Like I could just get the degree I'm working on, or I could add 6 or so more classes and be able to teach art (which I've been considering), if I want to become a college professor I only need a Masters degree so that's only two extra years. At this point I have no idea if I'm its a professional degree or not, but at this point quiting would be this huge waste of time because I'm almost there.

And in the fall I'm learning Animation which I know from experience I can not teach myself. Unless it's a powerpoint slideshow.

One thing I've learned is Uni is really really stressful. I'm getting a BSc in Geophysics, and from what I learned in 1st year, is that I basically get no social life during the semesters. There's always assignments due, midterms and final exams. Most science classes have finals, and it stresses me out. Though I'm trying to get a really good work ethic. It's worked so far, and since I'm putting the effort in, I might be able to get into the honors program.

Test anxiety... I'm not sure how to overcome that. I get nervous about a week or two before the exam, but a few hours before hand, I kinda get a "fuck it" type attitude, meaning that if I haven't learned it by now, then I shouldn't try to cram. Then during the exam, it's best not to overthink. Do what you know first, save the hard ones for last. Think simple.

Note taking I think is way more important in university than in high school... I found high school notes useless, but uni notes were so helpful. I'm not sure how it would work for art as much, but I know for math class, the few examples the prof does, copy down everything and more, so that it makes sense when you look back, and don't skip 'easy' steps, cause that will confuse you later on when reading notes.

tl;dr: stressful, don't overthink tests, take good notes.

Yeah, it's completely stressful, then working full time with work drama was leaving me barely hanging in there, and then family drama, screwed my grades up, which is why my GPA is so low, but I'm managing that better if my last semester was anything to go by.

I panic for the full week before a test, and I can't sleep when I'm in that state because in my mind every test is gonna fail me, then I panic straight up to the test and when I finally get the test I go blank, so I have to go through it two or three times to get all the answers and realize I answered some wrong, jog my memory etc. It always takes me forever to complete tests, which doesn't help because I'll be the last one in there, rushing to finish the test because the prof is looking at his watch.

I eventually figured that out about math, plus I had a awesome professor who showed how to do the harder problems instead of leaving 4 or 5 questions that you had no idea what was going on. It's history, and classes like that, that I can't figure out how to take the notes other than important dates, and why read over them. Like in Philosophy, there was just so much information being thrown at me the best I could figure was write down terminology, and I did great on the different ideas of philosophy but completely bombed on who coined what and the minor differences between two of them.

In my Art classes it's always been simple, they either hand me a peice of paper or if they write it down, you write it down because it's important. Other than that, they're not lecture classes. You're doing something everday, and any terminology is used often enough that you really don't have to study for the random prof that will quiz you. I mean you get the random essays, but mostly you're not judged by tests it's the projects you present.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3196
Age : 25
Location : Calgary
Reputation : 144
Cool Points : 6484
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:59 am

Check to see if your college has any resources for test anxiety. You'd be surprised at how many services a school might have. They might have tricks to overcome that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldgospelchoir
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Male Number of posts : 634
Age : 27
Reputation : 14
Cool Points : 3363
Registration date : 2010-12-10

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:21 am

Started looking into Grad Schools...wish I had money to go to the ones I want to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3196
Age : 25
Location : Calgary
Reputation : 144
Cool Points : 6484
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:33 am

omg guys, university starts next monday for me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldgospelchoir
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Male Number of posts : 634
Age : 27
Reputation : 14
Cool Points : 3363
Registration date : 2010-12-10

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:22 am

I started two weeks ago.

This is what im taking:
Anthropology of Mexico
Ethnographic Menthods
Human Sexuality
Origins of life
Beginning Soccer
Global Climate Change

Back to top Go down
View user profile
raptorsaurus
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3196
Age : 25
Location : Calgary
Reputation : 144
Cool Points : 6484
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:14 am

any partner labs in Human Sexuality... if you get my drift -nudge nudge-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: College   

Back to top Go down
 
College
Back to top 
Page 26 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Platt College Show and Tell Contest *usa only*
» PCU College Gear Photo Contest *California only*
» Psyphon's college paper on martial arts
» 2012 Wineries Unlimited Sweepstakes
» Berry Home Page Photo Contest

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Against Me! Forum :: Other :: General Chat-
Jump to: