Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Science Fiction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Ross
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 4628
Age : 29
Location : Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Reputation : 177
Cool Points : 5417
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 am

Yeah I saw that. Kinda saw it coming when I counted who was hearing the music, but still... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3155
Age : 29
Location : Baltimore
Reputation : 76
Cool Points : 5654
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:26 pm

that shit was amazing. Best episode of any show ever. All along the watchtower cover was bad ass
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Pollard/209701715
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 6264
Age : 27
Location : Bank Uber, BC
Reputation : 180
Cool Points : 7733
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:13 am

pintsogin wrote:
Fav. Shows ST. Deep Space 9. babylon 5, Battle Star galactica (the newest version he old one sucks). Star Gate SG1, X-files. Start with Battle Star b/c its short only like 4 seasons but amazing. If you want a good movie Stargate with Kurt Russel is one of the best.

I've heard BSG kind of sucked in the latter seasons, due to excessively dominant religious themes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 30
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3402
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:16 am

StoolPigeon wrote:
pintsogin wrote:
Fav. Shows ST. Deep Space 9. babylon 5, Battle Star galactica (the newest version he old one sucks). Star Gate SG1, X-files. Start with Battle Star b/c its short only like 4 seasons but amazing. If you want a good movie Stargate with Kurt Russel is one of the best.

I've heard BSG kind of sucked in the latter seasons, due to excessively dominant religious themes.

It did, the series finale was also full of all kinds of fail. Especially the last five minutes or so. But there were some good episodes, but in general the last season was shit.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 6264
Age : 27
Location : Bank Uber, BC
Reputation : 180
Cool Points : 7733
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:47 am

Kam wrote:
StoolPigeon wrote:
pintsogin wrote:
Fav. Shows ST. Deep Space 9. babylon 5, Battle Star galactica (the newest version he old one sucks). Star Gate SG1, X-files. Start with Battle Star b/c its short only like 4 seasons but amazing. If you want a good movie Stargate with Kurt Russel is one of the best.

I've heard BSG kind of sucked in the latter seasons, due to excessively dominant religious themes.

It did, the series finale was also full of all kinds of fail. Especially the last five minutes or so. But there were some good episodes, but in general the last season was shit.


Even still, I feel I should watch it. Do you think I shouldn't?

Also, I started watching Stargate Atlantis and couldn't really get into it. Should I give it another shot?

Also also, I really want to get back into writing, and due to my love of science fiction, I feel I should write something in that genre. It's kind of an intimidating endeavour, though. Because, you see faults in the science of a lot of it, and then you're like, "how can I do better?" And after deliberate thought, you realize you can't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 30
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3402
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:02 am

StoolPigeon wrote:
Kam wrote:
StoolPigeon wrote:
pintsogin wrote:
Fav. Shows ST. Deep Space 9. babylon 5, Battle Star galactica (the newest version he old one sucks). Star Gate SG1, X-files. Start with Battle Star b/c its short only like 4 seasons but amazing. If you want a good movie Stargate with Kurt Russel is one of the best.

I've heard BSG kind of sucked in the latter seasons, due to excessively dominant religious themes.

It did, the series finale was also full of all kinds of fail. Especially the last five minutes or so. But there were some good episodes, but in general the last season was shit.


Even still, I feel I should watch it. Do you think I shouldn't?

Also, I started watching Stargate Atlantis and couldn't really get into it. Should I give it another shot?

Also also, I really want to get back into writing, and due to my love of science fiction, I feel I should write something in that genre. It's kind of an intimidating endeavour, though. Because, you see faults in the science of a lot of it, and then you're like, "how can I do better?" And after deliberate thought, you realize you can't.

I say you should, it'll bug you but the first seasons are good and if you don't watch the last season it will bug you as well, just don't be waiting for this amazing ending. And there are some good episodes (and even int he bad episodes some really good scenes).

Stargate Atlantis gets more stable halfway through the first season or beginning the second season. But it's Stargate so it's not going to be super deep or anything but it became a fun watch for me.



My sister does the whole NaNoWriMo thing and she conned me into it this last one and what you said about the science made me think about something someone said. I can't remember it exactly but the basics was not to get too into the science, you're telling a story still and as long as you can make it believeable or you're writing it in a way that makes it interesting a reader will suspend their disbelief. So hell, don't explain just have them do it.

Oh, it was something about not writing an instruction manual, treat the advanced technology for granted like we do our microwaves etc. We may not know how it works, but it works and people are good with that.

*says the person who knows shit about science and takes it at face value that you can jump into warp/slipstream/ftl/wormholes and get across the galaxy.*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 30
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3402
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:45 pm

I just heard that Syfy is making a BSG prequel called Blood and Chrome.


Also, does Persons Unknown count as Science Fiction? Because I wholly believe there was some body switching going on there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3155
Age : 29
Location : Baltimore
Reputation : 76
Cool Points : 5654
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

i haven't heard about those prequels. i was watching Caprica for a bit but its kinda dull, interesting but dull. I'm not sure if it got renewed. And i thoguht all of BSG was amazing accept at some points it kinda soap opera like. i like all the philosophy and religious undertones. Dont see that anywhere on TV

i never totally got into Atlantis that much. it was ok i guess. I fell off SG1 around season 9.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Pollard/209701715
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 30
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3402
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 pm

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/26/battlestar-galactica-blood-chorme-cast/

I just heard about it today,

I never got into Caprica, I was really interested in the last of human kind traveling through space and then got interested the deeper aspects.

As far as I could tell, Caprica was about a fully functioning society but I have been thinking about watching it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3155
Age : 29
Location : Baltimore
Reputation : 76
Cool Points : 5654
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:15 pm

yeah its about creating the cylons (only thats just part of it) and there's some of that 'God' vs 'Gods' religious stuff going on. Its interesting but just boring. Worth watching...... Never mind according to someone who posted in that link they yanked Cap lol.

I think the problem was too much drama and virtually no action or excitement. Now their going to the first war.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Pollard/209701715
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 6264
Age : 27
Location : Bank Uber, BC
Reputation : 180
Cool Points : 7733
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:51 pm

I read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury on the way to Oshawa. That was an awesome book, I couldn't put it down. Now, I'm reading The Sleeper Awakes by H.G. Wells, which is also starting off really good.

Still haven't finished Firefly, but BSG is next in line.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 30
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3402
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:31 am

Fahrenheit 451 was pretty much the only reading assignment I actually finished in high school.

I'm starting on Do Android's dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K Dick

Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 6264
Age : 27
Location : Bank Uber, BC
Reputation : 180
Cool Points : 7733
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:22 am

That's on the list, after The Sleeper Awakes. I wanted to get that instead of it, but Chapters didn't have it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 30
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3402
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:18 am

How did I just now find out that they cancelled Stargate Universe?

I feel like I grew up with that ring. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3155
Age : 29
Location : Baltimore
Reputation : 76
Cool Points : 5654
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:40 am

i forgot that was even a show. was it good? Better then Atlantis?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Pollard/209701715
Kam
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
avatar

Female Number of posts : 513
Age : 30
Location : Texas
Reputation : 15
Cool Points : 3402
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

It had potential, in a lot of ways it's what Atlantis should have been, though I was pretty fond of the last season of Atlantis.

Actually I was really starting to like Universe, but I'm really just used to watching Stargate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pintsogin
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3155
Age : 29
Location : Baltimore
Reputation : 76
Cool Points : 5654
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 am

studios just try to milk shows for all their worth. Like Star trek. You gotta give it a breather and let ppl miss a show before coming back with a spinoff. It also gives you time to come up with a better concept. I fear the same will happen with battlestar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Pollard/209701715
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   

Back to top Go down
 
Science Fiction
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
 Similar topics
-
» 2010 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest Winners
» Who's the most powerful character in fiction?
» What If Death Battle: Beyonder (Cosmic Cube)xFemale Celestialsapien Vs Fiction

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Against Me! Forum :: Other :: Spam-
Jump to: