Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Starting a new band

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WWD4D?
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!

Male Number of posts : 1245
Cool Points : 4497
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Starting a new band   Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:04 pm

So my friend and I have used to play in a really crappy band back when we were in school, from the ages of about 15 to 17 and we basically learnt to play in this band. We did and few shows, mostly playing covers and pretty much sucked at every single one except for the second to last one. Our few original songs were dogshit, bar one, which I stil lreally like. We had nothing to say because, let's face it, when you're that age what do you have to say? I don't like homework, sprouts are crap etc etc. Anyway, the band parted and he's been in a few other groups and I haven't done anything because I hated not being in a band with my best friends. There didn't seem to be any point to playing if the 4 of us weren't doing it together. For a long time I barely even picked up my guitar. But now, after talking about it for a good two years we're putting a new group together and tuesday is our first rehearsal and i am fucking struggling to get some material written. I've got loads of good ideas but I can't translate them to the fretboard. Lyrics are coming fine, I'm turning some pretty good lines out, but I can't find any chords to put them to. I guess that phrase1% inspiration and 99% perspiration is true here. I'm not sure why I'm posting this here to be honest. Just wanted to share and see if anyone had any similar experiences and could give me some advice and the benefit of your experiences?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 5633
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new band   Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:43 pm

In high school/middle school my friends and I always talked about starting a band, but I'm the only one that can actually play an instrument.
Besides that they all have shitty musical taste.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WWD4D?
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new band   Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:50 pm

When me and my friends started our band, we didn't play anything. We just decided what we were going to play and got those instruments for christmas. I was supposed to play drums but figured that my chances of getting a guitar would be better since they're cheaper and less noisy if your amp has a headphone jack. Starting a punk rock band: the middle class way. Oi oi oi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThusSpokeYourFace
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Female Number of posts : 2322
Cool Points : 5633
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new band   Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:03 pm

WWD4D? wrote:
Starting a punk rock band: the middle class way. Oi oi oi.

Haha
Yeah.
Affordability of instruments was a big barrier.
Also the guitar I do have is acoustic acoustic. No electricness to speak of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ross
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Male Number of posts : 4628
Cool Points : 5511
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new band   Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Get stoned and see if it comes to you.

If not, fall back on the Against Me! classic way - take the chords C, Am, F and G... And play them in any order. Then stick in some Bs and Ems for good measure in the build up and chorus.

Simples!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pants
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Male Number of posts : 3126
Cool Points : 5383
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new band   Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:25 am

Lyrics come like SHIT to me. The bands I'm in are actually doing well. Pumping out a second EP with Madness Sale, have a fair fan base, lots of fun. Brannigans Law just really got moving this summer, and we're pumping songs out. I play all three instruments, in Madness Sale, I play bass, and I can come up with walking basslines like a mad man. They don't always work with every song, so I play the root note when needed, but it's fun.

In Brannigans Law, I'm the drummer, but a lot more active, because it's more of an alt/punk band, and I like that more. I can jam out on the drums all day, I've drummed since I was 8, I love it. I also come up with guitar and bass parts, and share them, and we end up getting songs out of it. I can translate my thoughts from my head to the instrument EASY, but I CAN'T WRITE LYRICS WORTH A SHIT! haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/cavaliereternal
WWD4D?
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new band   Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:27 pm

I'll trade you if you want? Anyway, tomorrow's the day. I'm at work and then going to have a few beers and kick out the preserves. I finally managed to come up with something, so I'm pleased with myself. I'm actually really excited now. We've decided that we want to start gigging as soon as we can so hopefully we'll be able to move forward really quickly. We're trying to get a mini set of sorts of 5 songs plus a rotating cast of covers, with only one being played per show. I forgot how ace it is being in a band. I missed that ringing in my ears.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WWD4D?
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!
Baby, I'm an Anarchist!

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new band   Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:49 pm

So we've had 2 or 3 practices now and we have our first gig booked for the 15th, supporting a couple of more established local bands. We have a 8 original songs written, that I love and we have two awesome folk punked up covers of Dorty Old Town by the Pogues and Bad Moon Rising by CCR. We even have harmonicas and shit. I'm loving it, it's been top so far and I'm really looking forward to performing for people. It's been 5 years since I last played a show and I'm nervous and excited all at once. The good news is the stuff is pretty easy to play so I can have several bottles of Becks to loosen up a bit.

Oh, and our name is The Old Division Four. Look us up on Myspace. It's pretty bare at the moment but we'll be doing a demo fairly soon and taking a few photos on tuesday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new band   

Back to top Go down

Starting a new band
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1