Against Me! Forum
If you're not a member go ahead and register! Or log in if you are.

Against Me! Forum

The Un-Official Against Me! forum, your best source for rare videos, songs and cool people.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My trip to Malawi.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Male Number of posts : 6264
Cool Points : 7708
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: My trip to Malawi.   Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Just going to post some pictures, and tell some stories from the trip, as I remember them. Smile

This would be the extremely rare fish eagle. I believe it's only seen in central Africa. There's a good story with this one. We went on three boat trips in Lake Malawi during our trip. The first was good. How it worked was there were people who would chill out, and bring the business to the owner of the boat, so they'd get a commission of the price (these people, in Kiswahili, are called 'bitoz', it's like a hustler of sorts - they will pretty much do everything for money: male prostitution (mostly, if not all, heterosexual prostitution), tour guide (they'll find you a hotel, and get a commission from the hotel), etc)). So, the second time we went out, we decided to go straight to the driver, so he wouldn't have to split the price with one of the bitoz. We were in the boat, and about to go, when a drunk bitoz jumped on. About five minutes into the trip, though we'd agreed with the boat driver to pay 1500 kwacha, he began demanding we pay (I don't remember the exact price) somewhere between 3-4 thousand kwacha. So, we began arguing, my friend and I getting extremely frustrated with the man (even contemplating pushing him off the boat, haha), but eventually decided to put it off. We didn't have fish with us, so we called a fisherman over, who was in a canoe, and bought four fish, 50 kwacha each. We paid with our own money, and the guy broke up some wood, impaled the fish with it (I couldn't watch that bit), and then threw one out. We took a picture of the fish eagle, just as it had gotten the fish. The second one, he threw, but I couldn't get a good picture of. The third one, he threw, and I got the picture I posted above. Finally, when the fourth one came around, he demanded that we pay 500 kwacha to see him throw it out. We argued with him that it was our fish, and that we bought it with our own money. All he had to argue with that was "NO!" Eventually, my friend picked up the fish, and held it over the edge, yelling at the drunk bitoz, saying that he was going to either throw the fish off, or push the man off. That was my happiest moment of the day. To my dismay, he did neither.

The bottom line of the story:

The man tried to sell us our own fish for ten times how much we originally paid for it.

If this seems pointless, then go away. Razz When I get a chance, I'll post more.

Last edited by StoolPigeon on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Malawi.   Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:10 pm

Also: Sorry for the size of the picture. I'll size it down when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lex
dictator bastardette

Female Number of posts : 7832
Cool Points : 5108
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Malawi.   Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Awesome, my aunt and uncle live in Malawi. But most of the pictures I've seen are pictures of malnourished children so it's depressing. I enjoy this picture better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ross
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Male Number of posts : 4628
Cool Points : 5392
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Malawi.   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:30 pm

That's a really great picture, I love the story though haha. How stupid did he think you guys were? I love watching people try to rip me off and then just telling them how it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Malawi.   Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:57 am

I've gotten most of the way through a new post on this thread, several times, and then had to exit it, every time. >_<
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Malawi.   Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:29 am

This is on the boat, the first time we took it out. These guys were cool. The guy after that was the drunken ass.

This is up on the mountain, on the way to Livingstonia. I think it's most of the way to the top of the mountain. The place was called Mushroom Farm, and is where we eventually decided to stay for the night. We hiked up the mountain, with two guides, in the following picture.

One was 14 and the other was 15. They looked more like 19 and 20. Anyways, the road up the mountain zig-zagged up, but there were a lot of shortcuts that just went straight up. These shortcuts were bloody intense. We were told it would take us about 4 hours to hike up to the Mushroom Farm, but we got up there in about an hour and a half, which is surprising, 'cause I wasn't sure I'd get up at all. Razz

I only got like halfway through this post. I'll post more later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
noni
Drinkin' Irish tonight!
Drinkin' Irish tonight!

Female Number of posts : 654
Cool Points : 3676
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Malawi.   Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:11 am

those pictures are amazing!
im so jealous!!!!!
I thought i was lucky going to Kiliney beach yesterday.... haha i should put up pictures of that!!!
make malawi look like.... something!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/nonilovesyou89
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Malawi.   Wed May 19, 2010 5:13 am

StoolPigeon wrote:
I only got like halfway through this post. I'll post more later.

Holy shit, dramatic part 2. My parents never heard this part of Malawi...
It's a long story, though..

Climbing up to Livingstonia, we had to choose whether we'd stay at Mushroom Farm or up in Livingstonia. After taking a tour around Mushroom Farm, we decided to go up to Livingstonia and check out the town.

It took around an hour to get up to Livingstonia, and at the top, there were two things that we went and saw. We had to get let into the church by some kid playing soccer near it, and all of the others playing with him came and joined the tour. We went up to the top of the church which was pretty sketchy on the old wooden boards with all of those kids. The other thing we saw was the bishop's house, which we could have stayed in, but was a lot more expensive than we thought it would be, and the ladies who lived there weren't so nice (and the place was creepy as fuck).

Anyways, we decided to go back down to Mushroom Farm for the night, but by the time we were heading down the hill, it was getting dark out. The two kids who were giving us the tour told us that they knew a shortcut to Mushroom Farm, and took us through an alley or two at the edge of Livingstonia. We ended up at this pretty steep path down, through a farmer's field. We could see that the field was in a bowl on the mountain, and could see that the main road curved around the ridge of the bowl, so we assumed that it was just cutting across the bowl, and then getting back onto the main road.

Pretty soon, it was completely dark out, with the moon giving us an outline of the people around us. The path was narrow, rocky and had many small, steep hills and drops, little of which was visible to us. Everytime we asked them how long it would be, they said some random small number of minutes. We were in the middle of nowhere on a Malawian mountainside and the only people withing several kilometers from us were two kids we met at the bottom of the mountain, and were paying to take us up.

I don't know how long we were walking for, but it felt like hours. If there was ever a time in my life that I thought I was going to be killed and robbed for everything I had, it was then. Despite that, though, after many hours of hiking, we made it to Mushroom Farm.

Also, earlier that day, we left Nkhata Bay early in the morning, and took the most intense bus ride I ever took to get to that mountain. There was a point where we were going around a curve and down a hill, and I thought we were going to flip off into the ditch, and beyond.

So, to conclude, that was the most intense day of my life.
And hopefully it will remain that way.

Edit: Also, at Mushroom Farm, we stayed in tents on the cliff side. Waking up, and coming out of the tent, it was absolutely gorgeous. To the right (and way below), there was Lake Malawi, to the left, the mountain continued up to the Nyika Plateau, a national wildlife park (one of the few places you'll ever see snow and giraffes together). Straight in front there were just rolling hills with either wild vegetation, or farm fields.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daggar Slade
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

Male Number of posts : 2827
Cool Points : 5312
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Malawi.   Wed May 19, 2010 6:16 am

I forgot about this thread. But it's one of my favorites. Dude, as strange as it sounds after your last post, I'm jealous...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/daggar_slade
StoolPigeon
Ninja Warrior
Ninja Warrior

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Malawi.   Wed May 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Yeah, I forgot about it, too. And then I went looking through some old pictures, and... Yeah.

And as shitty as it was at the time, it was definitely an experience to be had (once).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Malawi.   

Back to top Go down

My trip to Malawi.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1